Thursday, November 8, 2012

Scuba Fun!

Last year I noticed the YWCA offered a scuba class. I thought wow that's neat. Tucked it away for future reference. As I was organizing this year's swim co-op I mentioned it to the aquatics director--that it would be neat to do a homeschool scuba class. Soon Barclay's Skin Diver's Paradise contacted me and we set up a time. Our introductory class included seven kids and Brian. Ian, the instructor, was awesome. The kids started with snorkels and within an hour were swimming with regulators and tanks in the deep end. It is important that I mention here not one of the kids was pushed beyond their comfort level--nor was any child rushed. The kids all progressed naturally and at their own pace. It was amazing to watch. 


Gabe, Isaac and Jaden--the three amigos awaiting scuba time

learning to snorkel

Getting bc's (basically vests the inflate and deflate)


checking out the regulator

learning to breath with the regulator

putting on the vests

ready to rock and roll

scuba diving!!!

Brian helping Jaden not roll
 Jaden worked hard. He was light so he had a hard time sinking and then the tank kept rolling him over. He kept at it though and by the end was able to swim the width of the pool underwater.
Brian and Jaden
Gabe figured it out and disappeared from view. He later told me he wanted to live underwater. Brian LOVED it and for him it was the achievement of a long time dream.
 Big THANK YOU to Ian and Derek. We are looking forward to more scuba time...
Be sure to check out the video Brian made of their scuba experience.

1 comment:

  1. HOw fun is THAT??? I so want to have my son learn to SCUBA. Glad your boys had a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete