Monday, January 5, 2015

2014 Year in Review

As I looked back through my blog I noticed that 2014 only had three posts. Wow. It was one of those years where I was so busy living life there was no time to write our life. This year was truly a year of polar opposites-- searing pain and intense joy shadowed our life this year. Pain that I was not sure I wanted to share in a blog--pain that leaves me vulnerable in a way I have never been. Pain that we are still living and working through but that I feel ready to share. 


James 1:2-4 painted in rainbow colors on a poster on my kitchen cabinet…Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters whenever you face trails of many kinds because you know that the testing of faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete not lacking anything…this verse has been my anchor.




Our first great trail of 2014 was navigating Jaden's eye surgery. This was a hugely scary event for us as parents. Jaden has amblyopia--a condition where one eye has perfect vision and the other is really bad. The discrepancy between the eyes causes the brain so much confusion that it "turns off" the messages from the bad eye. So Jaden was only seeing with one eye. The surgery corrected the "crossing". I was so proud of how brave he was not only during the surgery but the weeks following --recovery was HARD. He struggled with motion sickness and a constant feeling of "sand in his eyes". The first few days he could not see at all. Jaden has been in eye therapy both before his surgery and after--to strengthen his eye and to retrain his brain to USE both eyes. He is still in therapy and has made incredible progress.

Summer found us helping my parents renovate the house I grew up in. Tragedy soon reared its ugly head. I was the only one present, the only witness when my dad accidentally amputated 3.5 fingers with a radial arm saw. The day --the moment was a nightmare. The sound of a saw triggers flashbacks and panic even now. I pray daily for God to take away the memory--to heal me.

This moment was the "straw that broke the camel's back" in regards to my Dad's health. This moment coupled with mental health issues has led our family down a deeply painful road, a road we are still trudging through. 

However, there has been so much joy. In the midst of this pain my brother and I have found a new level of trust and camaraderie. He and I spent most of our summer working construction for my parents--time we spent working, talking and healing.
One of my greatest prayers for our family was to find a church home. We have attended a local church but have never felt like we were home. In the midst of tragedy God found us a church home. We did not find it in any way I would ever have imagined. We actually found this church home because we thought we were moving to the house in Greene- The house my family built together as I grew up. We thought we were moving to a big house in the country. So we stepped out and went to check out this small church. The move to the Lepage country home fell apart but in the midst of that loss we had gained something of greater value. Our family found a church home where we finally truly feel HOME. We love our new church family and are looking forward to the years ahead growing together in Christ. 

first night home
Lastly, our greatest joy has been welcoming home our son Wisler--finally after four and a half years of waiting he came home November 24th. The time leading up to my departure for Haiti was fraught with unknowns--really up until the afternoon before I left for Logan airport. However, once I stepped on that plane the path seemed to straighten--the crooked was made straight and suddenly I could see the finish line. Wisler was coming home! Our time in Haiti was lovely.  I arrived on Thursday. Friday we picked up our packets from the embassy sans any issues. Saturday we had a wonderful day at Visa Lodge. Sunday was church and good-bye party. Monday we left for home. I loved his giggles of glee while flying and seeing our car for the first time. I loved his exclamations of disbelief as he watched the lights of Boston fade and the darkness of the night lulled him to sleep. I loved seeing him hop out of the car when we pulled in and his joy at seeing the house was REAL. His brothers in Maine were REAL. His bed and dresser--yup REAL. He giggled in pure delight at the warm shower. My heart was so relieved to finally tuck in FIVE boys. Now we have a new joy. Joy of learning to live as a new family of seven. A joy that stems from hearing boys giggle over silly boy things. A joy that comes from watching this little boy-child unfold himself ever so slowly to love. His petals tentatively trusting this new warmth. Unfolding that causes him pain --pain he invites us to share with a shy look.



Year in Pictures



The boys --since we started adopting Wisler almost always sit with a empty space for Wisler


first meeting Grammy (my mom)



first Thanksgiving


first meeting Grandma Kay and Papa Les
First Christmas tree decorating




First hike at Thorncrag



2014 was full of surprises that I never even imagined. 2015. I do not even know what to think. After this year I cannot even guess what the year might hold. What I do know--God is with us every step of the way and every day with the people I love is a precious gift. 

3 comments:

  1. This entry made me cry... I am so happy for you, finding a church home and bringing Wisler home. And sad, for the challenges with your dad, and how long you all waited to be together (the boys sitting with space for Wisler is what did me in). Here's to much joy and healing in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Hope that 2015 will have more joy , love and blessings than challenges for you and your family! You have so many more firsts as a family of 7 to discover and so many adventures ahead. Much love for you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete