Friday, September 20, 2013

A Hiking Moment I Have Been Waiting For...

I love hiking. I got my first taste as a teenager we would go for spontaneous "walks" up random trails off the Kancamagus highway. We were never "prepared"-- no backpacks or water--just my parents, brother a warm sweatshirt and a camera. We were never gone on the trails for more than a couple hours--but a blissful few hours it was for me. The crisp mountain air and breathtaking views were balm to my soul. Hiking seeped  into my blood and I never stopped. Living in Washington state for three years, I took those hikes to the next level--purchased some equipment and went backwoods hiking and camping with a good friend. We went almost every weekend. Then I met my husband who was not as passionate about hiking but was willing to tolerate it for my sake. So we went hiking as much as I could convince him to go. Then we moved back to Maine--and still we hiked. Then we had kids. (car breaks screeching) How does one take littles hiking? How do I drag my sleep deprived body out to battle the elements and be more uncomfortable? It was quite a learning curve.
 So we just did it. It was HARD. Really hard. Figuring out the most comfortable way to pack infants and later toddlers. (aching back and shoulders)  How to keep them warm but still mobile enough to hike. Foot wear--a huge piece--figuring out comfortable, flexible shoes.  How to encourage them, make it fun and pack enough high energy food to keep them going. And the hardest part for me: changing my definition of a hike. Embracing these early years of hiking with littles as training for them and patience building for me. These later years the challenge has been picking trails that are easy and that all the kids can do but are still interesting enough for big kids. It has  not been easy. And now fours kids later ( current ages 10, 8, 5 and 2), I had the hiking moment I have been waiting ten years for---all three big kids can do a moderate hike on their own and the fourth--he can do close to all of it on his own.



overlooking Jordan Pond from North Bubble
We made this discovery on our annual Acadia National Park camping trip. (Several years ago we decided that every September we would camp at Acadia--this is our third year!) Typically we plan one big hike for day one and a day at the shore for day two. Our first two years we hiked Jordan Pond which is described as a moderate hike with some rock hopping. The hike takes you around Jordan Pond which is a little over three miles. This year we wanted to try a summit. So we planned a route that would take us up North Bubble (872ft) , over to Conner's Nubble (588ft), then down to Eagle Lake and back to the parking lot-- a total of 3.9 miles. The summits were not terribly high, but the trail up for at least half the time was hands and knees climbing. The views-- well I will let the pictures tell that story. And Ben--our two year old blew us all away with his endurance and enthusiasm. He climbed those rocks, walked those trails, ohhed and ahhed over the views...and didn't ask to be up in the pack till the last mile. (Once in the pack he fell asleep within minutes). I was and still am so excited. I see a future of independent, enthusiastic hikers. For this hike I caught a glimpse of what it will be like. And finally all those years of training these guys and HARD hiking (and by HARD I do not mean hard trails) are paying off. Now do not misunderstand I have loved my boys' little guy years--and still do --I have loved the training--the muscle building, the team building, the family building that happens on the trail but I am also excited for the years ahead of back country hiking and camping.
thumbs up!
the last few feet to the overlook



overlooking Eagle Lake

the happy guy enjoying a break with his sippy

Eagle Lake

Through the woods back to the bus stop

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Looks gorgeous. Good for Ben, and the other guys too! Your hard work is paying off!

    ReplyDelete